The Academic Department and the Vocational Education Department can be said to be the two most important departments of the NIOS. These two departments develop education programmes and/or courses to give opportunity to the learners to pursue the course of learning of their choice. Both the departments collaborate with each other to develop functional and need/based courses to benefit the learners.
The Academic Department takes care of academic courses which encompasses the entire school education continuum from primary to predegree level. The Academic Department is engaged in development of curriculum and self learning materials, revision of learning materials, together with research and development activities and also provides support in the area of evaluation of learners.
The NIOS Academic Department has the following units.
- Open Basic Education (OBE)
- Secondary and Senior Secondary Education
- Capacity Building Cell
- NCOS Secretariat
- COMOSA Secretariat
- Graphic Unit
- Library and Documentation Services
- Academic – Departmental Advisory Board
- Academic – Council
- Open Basic Education (OBE)
- Training Packages for ODL functionaries
About the department
Vocational Education and Training (VET) is an important element of the nation’s education initiative. In order for Vocational Education to play its part effectively in the changing national context and for India to enjoy the fruits of the demographic dividend, there is an urgent need to redefine the critical elements of imparting vocational education and training to make them flexible, contemporary, relevant, inclusive and creative. The Government is well aware of the important role of Vocational education and has already taken a number of important initiatives in this area. School-based vocational education in India is currently covered by a centrally sponsored scheme which was mooted in 1988 and was aimed at providing an alternative to the pursuit of higher academic education. One of the objectives of the Vocational Education Programme of NIOS is to meet the need for skilled and middle-level manpower for the growing sectors of economy, both organized and unorganized. The range of Vocational Education courses has been expanding over the years depending upon needs of learners and market demands. The present Vocational Education courses of NIOS are meant for both urban and rural sectors.
Student Support Services
Under the Open and Distance Learning System, learner support is of paramount importance. The student Support Services (SSS) Department is responsible for providing support to learners in their learning and related issues. The main functions of the Student Support Services (SSS) Department of NIOS are as follows:
- Formulation of policy and planning related to student enrollment and registration
- Advocacy and publicity of NIOS programmes
- Identification and establishment of study centres for accreditation from amongst recognized and reputed academic institutions all over the country, thereby building a network of Accredited Institutions (AIs), Accredited Vocational Institutions (AVIs) and Accredited Agencies (AAs)
- Enrolment and registration of secondary and senior secondary learners of NIOS
- Monitoring of the functioning of study centres and conduct of Personal Contact Programmes
- Development of policy for continuous assessment of the learners through Tutor Marked Assignments (TMA)
- Coordination with the Regional Centres for timely and effective support to the learners.
- Redressal of the problems and grievances of the learners