- Advantages of the Online Admissions are as follows:
- Independent of time and place - Anywhere anytime - Admission Open 24x7: enhancing the access to its fullest term;
- Faster and Simpler Admission: Direct access to NIOS Admission;
- Choice of Study Centre: Freedom to select Study Centre of his/her choice;
- Better support services: Direct interaction of learners with NIOS and faster redressal of all problems;
- Easy Payment: Payment of fee online through credit card else by Bank Draft.
- Dispatch of Icard/study materials directly to the learners
- Hassle free admission procedure at a click of a button
- Learner's involvement in the process of admission and online monitoring.
- Confirmation of Admission within 10 days of receipt of the application.
NIOS-Online Project has won the National Award for e-Governance 2008 in the category of Excellence in Government Process Re-engineering.
- Online Admission for Vocational Education - offering about 80-85 vocational courses.
- Online Submission of Examination Fees.
- Online Payment Gateway through all credit cards (Master/Visa) of fees for various services of NIOS (Admission/ Examination/ Duplicate documents/ requisition for study materials)
- Online Registration for On-Demand Examination
- Online status of dispatch of Identity cards/study materials
- Online availability of NIOS course materials
- Online availability of NIOS prospectus
- Online availability of Study Centre Information
- Support through Learner Support Centre with toll free no. 18001809393, lsc(at)nos[dot]org
- On Line Student Information System
- Admission details
- Tutor Mark Assignment
- Online Course Material
- Syllabus & Sample Question Paper
- Performance chart
- Study Centre wise list
- On Line Counseling through Ask your Teacher
- Online Accreditation of Schools/Institutions/Agencies for becoming the Accredited Institution of NIOS for Academic, Vocational or Open Basic Education Programme.
Under the Open and Distance Learning System, learner support is of paramount importance. Such support is provided through various services to:
- Help learners to learn well by providing timely and proper academic support
- Facilitate learners in solving their problems through the study centres/learning centres
- Co-ordinate and monitor establishment, working and management of the study centres.
The main functions of the Student Support Services (SSS) Department of NIOS are as follows:
- Formulation of policy and planning related to student enrollment and registration
- Advocacy and publicity of NIOS programmes
- Identification and establishment of study centres for accreditation from amongst recognized and reputed academic institutions all over the country, thereby building a network of Accredited Institutions (AIs)
- Enrolment and registration of secondary and senior secondary learners of NIOS
- Monitoring of the functioning of study centres and conduct of personal contact programmes
- Development of policy for continuous assessment of the learners through Tutor Marked Assignments (TMA)
- Coordination with the Regional Centres for timely and effective support to the learners.
- Redressal of the problems and grievances of the learners
NIOS as an open and distance learning institute provides planned human support in different ways from the time a learner joins the system till the end of his/ her successful completion. To provide this support along with the issue of easy access, NIOS considered utilization of existing available resources to provideservices by accrediting institutions as partners. Such partner institutions are called Accredited Institutions (AIs) and are spread all over the country. These AIs which function as Study Centres are usually formal schools that are recognized and affiliated to CBSE, ICSCE and State Broads or reputed agencies involved in social and educational activities of disadvantaged and differently abled learners. The AIs assist NIOS in its various functions to reach out and to reach all. Based on available infrastructure facilities and nature of the existing institutions, the AIs for Academic courses are categorized into three categories.
- Category-A: having very good infrastructure and can enroll upto 500 students.
- Category-B: AIs can enroll upto 300 students.
- Category-C: AIs are allowed toenroll only upto 150 students.
NIOS has Accredited Institutions for Regional mediums also like Marathi, Telugu, Gujarati, Malayalam, Oriya and Urdu. The types of Schools/Institutions that have become partners to function as AIs of NIOS include Government Schools, Government Aided Schools, Kendriya Vidyalayas, Navodaya Vidyalayas, Public and Private Schools and Schools for children with special needs.
Accreditation of the Study Centres is done through rigorous process of screening of applications on the basis of prescribed criteria and inspection of the institutions by teams of Experts. The Principal/Vice- Principal of the School acts as the Coordinator of the AI functioning as the Study Centre of NIOS. The core staff and teachers of the AIs work for NIOS programmes at the Study Centres in addition to their normal duties there.
NIOS students study at their own using self instructional material. However, while learning they do confront certain problems and need various types of help and guidance. For clarification of their doubts, NIOS conducts 30 Personal Contact Programme (PCPs) for theory subjects out of which 15 are compulsory. Five additional PCPs are allotted for subjects having practicals. These are conducted at the Study Centre on Saturdays, Sundays/other holidays or at any convenient time during weekdays.
The administration department of NIOS is headed by the Secretary and takes care of all matters related to,
- Memorandum of association of NOS Society,
- Constitution of various committees of NIOS and organization of Meetings of apex committees,
- Matters related to personnel,
- Legal matters,
- Production and distribution of Materials,
- Purchase and supply of equipment,
- Promotion of Hindi (Raj Bhasha),
- Parliament Questions etc.
ICT of NIOS
Online Facility for NIOS learners under NIOS Online (Ni-On)
- Online Admission for Secondary and Sr. Secondary
- NIOS was one of the first educational institutions at school level to use ICT for bringing about a major structural and functional transformation of its basic operations of Admission, Examination and Accreditation under the project NIOS Online
- The Project NIOS Online was launched on pilot basis in July 2007 - 30,000 admissions. Upscaled and expanded in July 2008 - 1,63,000 enrolment out of total admission of 3.70 lakh during the 2nd Phase of expanded online admission and from the Year 2010-11 100% online Admission was introduced.
- Under NIOS Online new streams of admission were opened in order to expand the access to various category of learners.
- Online Admission - Stream 1 - For all learners.
- Online Admission - Stream 2 - For unsuccessful/failures of recognised boards to appear in Oct- exam to save precious one year.
- Online Admission - Stream 3 - For unsuccessful/failures of recognised boards to appear through On-Demand Examination System (ODES) at Secondary Level.
- Online Admission - Stream 4 - For unsuccessful/failures of recognised boards to appear through On-Demand Examination System (ODES) at Sr. Secondary Level.